Monday, February 8, 2010

unnamed entry

It's been nearly a week since my last entry. There's a good reason too, I have no internet connection in my apartment. I don't have very good cell phone reception either. Thus when I am in my apartment there is a virtual information blackout. I'm working to get an Internet connection in the apartment. Until then I am reliant on public wifi. And those are hard to come by.
I've found I need a local bank account. Thus I'm working to establish one. However, the bankers here seem to come to work when they please so it's a bit hit and miss. Last week I tried to get an appointment but found that the banker at the place the school recommended was out. A bit overwhelmed and very frustrated, I decided to wander through Paris. I found a very nice park near the Institut de France. It's a small park but thankfully quiet. I put on headphones and enjoyed a bit of the radio stations from the US on my phone. After that I wandered across the Seine, on the Pont Des Arts. Across the bridge I noticed a number of padlocks locked to the sides of the bridge. On the locks was writing. The tradition goes something like having your lock on the bridge symbolizes an unending love between two people.

After that I sat and watched the people out by Notre Dame. It was a nice sunny day so it was quite enjoyable. Across from Notre Dame was a small english bookstore called Shakespeare and Company. I hear it is quite famous.

So today is my first day of classes. I have two, Factors and Theories of Analysis in International Relations and Diplomacy and the second is Foreign Policy formulation and Diplomacy. I hope these go well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!
    I was checking everyday to see if you had added to your blog. I am glad you finally had the chance to.
    As I started to read this new entry, I was thinking "aw, poor Chris, he's having a rough time of it" THEN, I got to the part where you were wandering tru Paris and sitting in a nice park in the sun listening to music and looking at Notre Dame. Then walking across the bridge etc. Wow! that's some day! I am ready to hop a plane and join you. But, the planes aren't flying due to the 2ft of snow we are getting UGH!
    Anyway...I look forward to your next entry!!!
    Be safe and most of all, be HAPPY!
    Love, Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. And people in the States think "Bankers Hours" are a problem... ha ha. Hopefully, things will start going smoother as you get accustomed to your surroundings.

    Look forward to updates when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete